Tuesday, 22 October 2013

Lighting - (interior shots)

As I will be using natural and artificial lighting in my video, I need to ensure the lighting in my video doesn't clash. There for I have been doing research on how to make this possible:

"Mixing is possible, but to avoid clashing, you must balance the temperature of the lights." 

White Balancing
In order to create accurate looking colors, a camera must decide what 'white' should actually look like. Many cameras have pre-selected settings for various types of light. Some cameras even have a manually adjustable white balance. Most professional editing suites will allow you to do some white balancing, after the fact."
http://makeinternettv.org/shoot/lighting.php

As a result I will need to buy a white balancing card and manually adjust the white balance before each scene is filmed. 

I have found this video helpful when practicing manually adjusting the white balance on my camera.



Also when filming I need to consider the position of the lighting to create the desired effects in the video. There are lots of different types of lighting which achieve noticeably different effects.

Key Light

This light is pointed directly at the subject, and sets the stage for the rest of the lighting. However, it generally casts noticeable shadows, and may need to be balanced out by the other light.



Fill Light

This light is generally used to illuminate the background, and wash away any overly harsh shadows that the key light produces. It is generally diffuse and can be very bright. Both fill and back light are often provided by reflectors.



Back Light

This adds definition to your subject, by shining from the back. Depending on the intensity of this light, the effect can be subtle or dramatic.














No comments:

Post a Comment