Wednesday, 28 August 2013

Task 5 - Analysis of music videos (4)


Task Five:

Clean Bandit – Dust Clears




Clean Bandit is a British group who are best known for their singles "Mozart's House" which debuted at number 17 on the UK Singles Chart and "A+E" that reached number 100. The band was founded in 2009.

Members
•   Jack Patterson: bass, sax, deck
•   Luke Patterson: drums
•   Grace Chatto: strings
•   Milan Neil Amin-Smith: strings
•    
Dust Clears was released on 29th June 2013.


Lyrics

Imagine if the life that you thought you shared wasn't really there
It was made up in your mind, could be anyone, anywhere
Cause you'd be living in a world of your own design, undermined
In another place, other space and time

As the dust clears and it all starts to disappear
It may get harder, cause you just restarted
And wherever you are, land on another star
It may get harder, cause you just restarted

You better get real, real, real and realize that the situation is going nowhere
Because you act so tough, I totally lost control
So please try to understand that if I could, I'd call and I would be there
And if I didn't hurt so much, you know I'd give you it all
You know I'd give you it all

Imagine if the friend that you thought you knew wasn't really true
It just existed in your head, the reflection used wasn't you
Completely unaware, could be anywhere, anytime
Cause there was a shift in the paradigm

As the dust clears and it all starts to disappear
It may get harder, cause you just restarted
And wherever you are, land on another star
It may get harder, cause you just restarted

You better get real, real, real and realize that the situation is going nowhere
Because you act so tough, I totally lost control
So please, try to understand that if I could, I'd call and I would be there
And if I didn't hurt so much, you know I'd give you it all
You know I'd give you it all.


Why did you choose the text you are analyzing?
The video is interesting to watch, mostly from the imaginative ideas – from ice-skating in Sweden on a frozen lake to the amusing electro voice the older man is lip-syncing to.

In what context did you encounter it?
I came across the song as it was recommended on Spotify, I loved the song so I decided to search the video on YouTube and also enjoyed watching the video.

What influence do you think this context might have had on your interpretation of the text?
As I watched the video having already heard it on Spotify before, the serious but comical context made me enjoy it even more, I found it very amusing.

Which conventions of the genre do you recognize in the text?
I’d say the genre is Indie/Electronic there for, from my research above the similarities would be:

  • Tends to be black and white. This connotes the angry and depressed mood. – In this clip it starts of mostly black/grey in the workshop and then bright when shot in Sweden, however the man is still in dark clothing.
  • The artist/band is shown throughout the video – the band is seen playing and lip-syncing in the video.
  • Use of extreme close ups and long shots are popular
  • Dark locations/Isolated Room – When the band are lip syncing around the kitchen table they seem very close together and slightly isolated. However dark locations aren’t particularly seen in this video.
  • Face paced – Ice-skating
  • Some use of special effects – very few
  • Hats – yes the man ice-skating is wearing a hat.
  • Dark Clothing – yes.

To what extent does this text stretch the conventions of its genre?
The text is quite deep and has a meaning; with an imaginative video this is very much like most indie/electro/pop genres.

Where and why does the text depart from the conventions of the genre?
This video is unique because it has some reversed shots for example at 2:53 the violin is sanded but reversed in the editing to make it look like its coming out of the sander.

What sort of audience did you feel that the video was aimed at (and how typical was this of the genre/style of music)?
The band aren’t hugely famous at the moment but they are known for there imaginative videos already – “And as we've come to expect, the video for Dust Clears is as imaginative as ever” – thegizzlereview.com

What sort of person does it assume you are?
It assumes that we could be imagining the life we’re living, and suggesting we make things up in our minds.

What assumptions seem to be made about your class, age, gender and ethnicity?
From the younger people in the video and their acting, it suggests that the younger generation make things up, are more imaginative and free minded.
From the older man, this suggests that he may be a bit crazy/delusional as you don’t usually see someone of that age ice-skating on an ice lake.

What interests does it assume you have?
The video suggests we’d rather be out and free rather than stuck at work for the two age groups that are shown in the video (teenagers and elderly).

What relevance does the text actually have for you?
The clothes and setting when the band is around the table in the kitchen are similar to my day life as they are both casual and normal. However the lyrics don’t mean anything towards me I just enjoy the music all together.

What knowledge does it take for granted?
The video has taken advantage of the need to be interesting, introducing an interesting combination of scenes (ice lake and a workshop).

To what extent do you resemble the 'ideal reader' that the video seeks to position you as?
The fact that the song was recommended for my taste of music on Spotify from previous music I have listened to makes me the intended audience; however overall I think this music video is aimed for teenagers.

Are there any notable shifts in the video's style (and if so, what do they involve)?
The music pace picks up around 3:42 however the video remains consistent.  There for no shifts in style.

What responses does the video seem to expect from you?
I think the audience should be intrigues throughout the video as their objective was clearly to make it interesting.

How open to negotiation is your response (are you invited, instructed or coerced to respond in particular ways)?
The video shows them working at the beginning and then having fun at the end, suggesting they should be freer. I think the videos aim is for us to be more real and wake up from a daze “You better get real, real, real and realize that the situation is going nowhere”.

Is there any penalty for not responding in the expected ways?
No penalty is shown in this video.

To what extent do you find yourself 'reading against the grain' of the text and the genre?
When I watch it I see the fun they’re having and enjoy watching it for the unusual scenery and ideas in the footage.

How typical do you think this video is of Music Videos?
I think because the lyrics are clearly shown throughout the video via the band’s roles, this makes it a lot like music videos because in most genres this convention is followed.

No comments:

Post a Comment