Wednesday, 28 August 2013

Task 4 - Analysis of music videos (2 & 3)


Task Four:

2. Name of track: Animal

Artist:  Miike Snow

Genre: Indie/Pop


Features
Observations
Examples
Genre Characteristics
Characteristics from pop:
1. Bright and colorful
2. Aims at the teenage audience
3. Very upbeat
Characteristics from Indie:
4. The artist/band is shown throughout the video
5. Fast paced
6. Some use of special effects
7. Hats
8. Dark Clothing


1.Not very bright but the beginning is very colorful 0:09.
2. The lyrics at 0:48 “Am I free or am I tied up?” indicates its aimed at teenagers as this is stereotypically what teenagers think.
3. Throughout, the whole song is very upbeat.
4. The artist is seen mostly throughout the video along with some other actors.
5. Very fast paced music and editing, particularly at 0:47.
6. Special effects are seen at 0:38
7. Hats and other costumes are seen a lot throughout the video the most common one would be the giraffe hat 2:03.
8. Throughout the video Miike Snow is seen wearing dark clothing such as the black leather jacket at the start 0:16.
Relationship between lyrics and visuals?
Thought-out the video the lyrics “I'm still an animal” are constantly repeated along with the visuals of the artist with an animal mask on.
An example would be mid-way though the video at 1:54.
Relationship between music and visuals?
The editing at the start of the video with the lights, the shot is made to change in time with the song.
The lights editing durations is about 10 seconds long, the editing involves the lights changing colour and position however the camera staying in the same place.
Are there close-ups of the artist and star image motifs?
Miike is shown singing various times throughout not always close-ups mostly mid-shots.
Close up of the side of Miike at 2:12 and a front close up at 2:13
Mid-shot at 0:19
Is there reference to the notion of looking?
There are a few all the way though, this links in with the song and its lyrics as well as the personality of the artist.
“Is always running” Involves some of the actors running across a field. This is a link between the lyrics and the visuals.
Are there intertextual references?
There are no intertextual references throughout the video.

Is the video performance, narrative or concept based?
How much of each?
Mostly performance as throughout the video the artist is seen lip syncing and occasionally playing instruments.
Miike Snow is playing the drums at 2:16.

Lyrics


There was a time when my world
Was filled with darkness
Then I stopped dreaming now
I'm supposed to fill it up with something


In your eyes I see the eyes of somebody
I knew before, long ago
But I'm still trying to make my mind up
Am I free or am I tied up?



I change shapes just to hide in this place
But I'm still, I'm still an animal
Nobody knows it but me when I slip
Yeah I slip, I'm still an animal



There is a hole and I tried to fill it up with money
But it gets bigger till your horse is always running
In your eyes I see the eyes of somebody
That could be strong



Tell me if I'm wrong
And now I'm pulling your disguise up
Are you free or are you tied up?



I change shapes just to hide in this place
But I'm still, I'm still an animal
Nobody knows it but me when I slip
Yeah I slip, I'm still an animal




3. Name of track: A&E

Artist:  Clean Bandit

Genre: Indie/Pop


Features
Observations
Examples
Genre Characteristics
Electronic / Pop
1.Bright and colorful
2.Close ups to show the cheerful and upbeat emotions
3.Aims at the teenage audience
4.Very upbeat

1. Bright clothing at (1:35) and bright scene at (2:40)
2. Close up of singer to show her emotions (0:51)
3. When the band is watching TV, this is a stereotype of teenagers. (2:09)
4. Beat kicks in after slow intro at (0:42)
Relationship between lyrics and visuals?
The jungle scene amplifies the lyrics of “Im’a come for you I’m a predictor”. Using a jungle connotes the idea of hunting and predators.
The lyrics at 1:50 “I’m come for you, I’m a predator” and the visuals are in a jungle.
Relationship between music and visuals?
The music beat and lyrics has a strong relationship with the visuals as they are well thought out and well edited.
The dancers start at 1:4, this is also when the beat kicks in, this is a clear indication of a link between the visuals and music.
Are there close-ups of the artist and star image motifs?
1.The first close up is of the artist singing.
1. At 0:51 “I'm a snake, I'm a tricky little freak, I'm a killer…”
Is there reference to the notion of looking?
No, there aren’t many in this video other than a few when the lyrics are “predator”
One would be at 2:03 when the visuals is a giant golden snake which has been edited into the video.
Are there intertextual references?
Yes, at first the lyrics are threatening and later on they are inviting and forgiving.
“I’m a come for you”
“my friend be cool be strong and come
With me”
Is the video performance, narrative or concept based?
How much of each?
The video is mostly narrative but has some aspects of performance.
Performance of playing the guitar is seen at 1:39. Drums at 2:00. And use of Violin and is seen at 2:21.

I'm a snake, I'm a tricky little freak, I'm a killer you won't see me as I slither down the street I make noise and I'm poised like a train as you please, I make heat when I tweet I am the real McCoy,
all the lies that you say to me, better pray for me, better kill me or pay for me, you gotta get what you want, get what you want want,
and all those things that I see you do, they make me pray for you, about to kiss you or kill you too, gotta get what you want, get get what you want, get what you want
Da da da da da, da, da da da, da da da, da da da da da da da da x 2
I'm a, I'm a, I'm a, I'm a
I'm a come for you, I'm a predator, predator
Gonna make you right, gonna edit ya, edit ya
So now you sit and you watch tv, it's mostly channel 3 cause we don't pay our licence fee, ain't gonna get what you want, get what you want, get what you want want
So many things that you said we'd do, if only that were true, it seems your great plan has fallen through
violin
Hey, mmm, yeah, yeah,
Violin
Da da da da da, da, da da da, da da da, da da da da da da da da x 2
In the beginning the light shone bright with possibility, it's still shining cause it runs on electricity, so don't stop dreaming of the man that you could be, just give me your hand my friend be cool be strong and come with me


No comments:

Post a Comment